Biden picks top Asia aide as nominee for deputy secretary of state
简介US President Joe Biden chose his top Asia aide as the nominee for deputy secretary of state, the Whi ...
US President Joe Biden chose his top Asia aide as the nominee for deputy secretary of state, the White House said Wednesday, as Washington maintains its strategic focus on the Indo-Pacific despite growing tensions in the Middle East and Russia's war in Ukraine.
The White House said Biden expressed his intent to designate Kurt Campbell, the National Security Council coordinator for Indo-Pacific affairs, for the State Department's No. 2 post that has been left vacant since former Deputy Secretary Wendy Sherman retired in July.
Campbell's nomination appears to underscore the Biden administration's steady commitment to focusing on the Indo-Pacific region, which it has cast as the "epicenter" of geopolitics in the 21st century.
Campbell has served as deputy assistant to the president and coordinator for the Indo-Pacific since January 2021. From 2009 to 2013, he worked as the assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs.
He is known to be an architect of the "Pivot to Asia" policy, also known as the "rebalancing policy," under the Barack Obama administration. The policy was designed to refocus on the Asia-Pacific region rising as a fulcrum of global power and wealth.
Campbell has also been a key driver of the Biden administration's policy efforts to revitalize the US' alliances and partnerships with Indo-Pacific countries, including South Korea and Japan. The efforts were highlighted by the strengthening of trilateral cooperation between Seoul, Washington and Tokyo.
He is well-versed in Korean Peninsula affairs given his extensive experience related to Asia. In July, he attended the inaugural meeting in Seoul of the Nuclear Consultative Group, a key deterrence dialogue body between the allies.
Campbell is to undergo a Senate confirmation process for his appointment. (Yonhap)
부산 엑스포 유치 불발 일주일 만에 윤석열 대통령이 부산을 찾았다. 윤 대통령은 6일 부산항국제전시컨벤션센터에서 간담회를 열고 세계박람회(엑스포) 유치를 위해 노력한 기업인과 시민 ...
10·11 서울 강서구청장 보궐선거 참패로 예고된 대로 집권여당과 용산에 대한 민심이 일주일도 안 돼 싸늘해졌다. 특히 수도권 민심 이탈이 심각했다. 16일 공개된 정치 고관여층이 ...
Melon Music Awards, one of the nation's biggest music award shows, will take place on Dec. 2, i ...
- S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
- Dodgers prospect trying to fit in with S. Korean nat'l baseball team
- Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
- Koreans prefer cash in Chuseok gifting for parents
- Russian FM to visit Pyongyang next month as follow
- US finalizes national security 'guardrails' for CHIPS funding
- Ministry uncovers 1,802 Youth Protection Act violations
- Mirae Asset continues to lead domestic equity ETF market
- PM departs for China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- PM envisions Busan World Expo's role in sharing 'rise from ashes' experience
- EBS' new nature doc to explore symbiotic relationship between nature and humanity
- S. Korean shares snap 3
- Global Kimchi Day declared
- 'Fuerza Bruta Wayra' returns to Seoul
- Yoon, Japan's Kishida agree to cooperate in hydrogen sector
- 전문가 “북 중거리미사일 고체연료엔진, 러시아 기술 가능성”
- Seoul shares open lower on US economic data
- Biden, Xi's 'blunt' talks yield deals on military, fentanyl
- Surf's up: Enhypen enjoys the ride with 'Orange Blood'
- Samsung family pays tribute to late founder
- Global asset firms flock to Jeonju to woo pension giant
- 윤희숙 "20여년 억대 연봉 송영길이 돈 없다? 못된 버릇 때문"
- Everland grounds panda Fubao for trying to escape
- LG celebrates 1st baseball championship in 29 years with discounts
- Seoul shares end nearly flat amid signs of cooling US inflation
- Seoul shares open nearly flat despite US gains
- Seoul to expand monthly transit pass to cover Incheon
- Dancers say Street Woman Fighter 2 made dance more approachable
- Experts to discuss globalized risks at World Health City Forum