Arrest warrant sought for ex
简介Police sought an arrest warrant Thursday for the former fiance of Olympic fencing medalist Nam Hyun- ...
Police sought an arrest warrant Thursday for the former fiance of Olympic fencing medalist Nam Hyun-hee on fraud charges after victims filed complaints following their sensational breakup over revelations that the fiance was actually a woman with a history of multiple convictions.
Nam, the silver medalist in women's foil at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, broke up with her 15-year-younger fiance Jeon Cheong-jo last week, days after revelations that Jeon was legally a woman and had been convicted multiple times for fraud.
Jeon's claims of being a third-generation scion of a conglomerate family were also debunked.
Jeon has since come under multiple fraud accusations.
On Thursday, the Songpa Police Station filed for the warrant against Jeon on charges that she swindled money from people she had met during her private lectures, using the pretense of investment. She was also accused of instigating people to take out loans for investment in her favor.
Police have so far confirmed 15 people were swindled out of a combined total of over 1.9 billion won ($1.4 million). The number of victims could rise further as the investigation continues, police officials said.
The Seoul Eastern District Court is scheduled to hold a hearing as early as Friday to decide whether to grant the arrest warrant.
The former couple instantly captured public attention last month following a media interview in which Nam introduced Jeon as her boyfriend and a third-generation scion of a family-owned conglomerate, saying they plan to get married. In August, Nam said she had divorced her husband of 12 years, national cyclist Gong Hyo-suk.
But a flurry of skepticism and rumors had since emerged about Jeon's background, with news outlets reporting that Jeon had been convicted of fraud several times, including swindling under the pretense of marriage. Jeon was also reported to be legally a woman and not affiliated with any conglomerate family or chaebol.
Nam has also filed a stalking complaint against Jeon for repeatedly pounding on the door of a home she was staying at after their breakup and ringing the doorbell.
Police detained Jeon on Tuesday at the home of a relative in Gimpo, west of Seoul and searched her apartment in a luxury residential building in southern Seoul and her mother's home for evidence. (Yonhap)
The high court in Seoul on Wednesday ruled against Apple in a damages suit filed by consumers here o ...
The combined net income of insurance companies in South Korea surged nearly 50 percent in the first ...
이종석(62·사법연수원 15기) 헌법재판소장 후보자 임명동의안이 30일 국회 본회의를 통과했다.국회는 이날 총 투표수 291표 중 찬성 204표와 반대 61표, 기권 26표로 이 ...
Yoon nominates former boss to head broadcasting watchdog
Insurance firms' net income jumps over 47% on
Ilyon Woo's nonfiction lands on NYT's 10 best books of 2023
Industrial output, retail sales, investment all fall in Oct.: data
Seoul shares open lower on US tech slide
尹대통령, 이동관 방통위원장 사의 수용했다…"면직안 재가"
- Korea, Japan hold working
- Posco wins W300b EV parts deal with US carmaker
- Blackpink survives 7
- Storing away for a more compact life
- [KH Explains] Why tighter US subsidy rules could boost Chinese firms
- McKinsey names 2 new partners at Seoul office
- Another search targets opposition leader in corruption probe
- Boeing eyes more Chinook helicopter exports to S. Korea
- [Contribution] Future of agriculture
- Scalpers take bigger cut of Korean music industry
- 정부, GP 복원 계획…김태효 "北 무장에 가만히 있으면 안된다"
- S. Korea's heavyweights like ex
- HiteJinro soju seeks bigger footing in UK
- South Korea warns tit
- Hotel chief fined for safety violation in Itaewon tragedy trial
- Daily Sports Hankook hopes to help stengthen Korea
- Hyundai Elevator, Erbud team up to rebuild Ukraine
- [Herald Interview] 'Korea strives to set global standards for data protection in generative AI era'
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- German envoy calls for enhanced security cooperation with S. Korea
- Trilateral cooperation unaffected by US election outcomes: Goldberg
- Hyundai Motor bolsters global partnerships through Expo campaign
- Seoul shares start lower ahead of key rate decision
- S. Korea's Busan making last
- Dog meat group threatens to release 2 million dogs near presidential office
- Seoul reviews scenarios for restoring guard posts in DMZ
- YouTuber suspected of livestreaming after taking drugs
- China’s AliExpress eyes expansion in Korea
- Violinist Yoo Da
- Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers